About Kyauk Phyu
Kyauk Phyu, or Kyaukpru, is located on Ramree Island, under the administration of the Kyauk Phyu district which is composed of four townships: Kyauk Phyu, Yanby, Man Aung and Ann with total land area of approximately 9,600 Sq-km and a population of approximately 590,000.
Historically, Rakhine State (then known as Arakan State), had twelve territories which included Ramree Island (also known as Ramawadi or Ramapura Island). According to a Rakhine myth, the original name of the island was Wan-Be, because its shape resembled the figure of a duck in a pond. According to another myth from the time of Buddha, the name Wan-Be was mentioned by Buddha who stayed in this region during a trip.
According to historical record, after the Anglo-Burma First war of 1824-1826, the British occupied the Arakan region including Ramee Island and it became one of four districts: Switte, Ern, Sandwee and Ramree. In 1829, the administration of Ern District changed to to Kyauk Phyu and became Britain’s main military base in Arakan. In 1837, Ramree District came under Kyauk Phyu District which became a colonial administration region.
The name of Kyauk Phyu comes from the abundant small white round stones found in the region which make up a key feature of Ramree Island. The area is approximately 8 square-km and relatively flat without steep slopes. Kyauk Phyu has its own airport and harbour for commercial purposes and a recently constructed road that links it to the mainland.
Reference from Wikipedia;
Kyauk Phyu is a major town in Rakhine State, in western Myanmar. It is located on the notrth western corner of Ramree Island on Combermere Bay, and is 250 miles(400 km) northwest of Yangon. The town is situated on a superb natural harbour which connects the rice trade between Calcutta and Yangon. The name Kyauk Phyu(lit. “white rock”) is the Myanmar pronunciation or the local Yangbye pronunciation of the natives of Kyauk Phyu. In standard Arakanese, the town’s name is pronounced Kyaukpru. The old Kyauk Phyu is situated 7 miles from the present town where two colossal white rocks exist.
The present location of the town was originally a small fishing village. After the first Anglo-Burmese War, the British established Kyauk Phyu in 1827 on the site of the fishing village. In 1852, Kyauk Phyu became a district city, Maurice Collis, a famous British writer, lived in Kyauk Phyu in the 1920s. His house, situated on the outskirts of Kyauk Phyu is maintained as a historic building.
Kyauk Phyu Viewpoint, more popular known as Point, is perhaps the most well-known attraction in Kyauk Phyu. It is at the end of the Strand Road and looks out into the Bay of Bengal and the mouth of the Thanzit(Kyauk Phyu) River. Gant-gaw-taw, is one of the most sacred Buddhist shrines, believed to have been built in the Vesali period. Kyauk-ta-lone phaya, located beside Gant-gaw-taw shrine, was built by King Min-ba in the Mrauk U period and is the focal point of Kyauk Phyu’s Buddhist environment.